What is a skills gap?
A skills gap is a difference between an employee’s skills and what their employer or industry requires for a job. It is the demand for new emerging skills across all industries. The skills gap has caused a talent shortage, especially in competitive industries such as Life Sciences and Healthcare. Many workers feel underprepared with the skills they currently have. This includes workers of all ages, even the youngest generation in the economy is struggling to adapt to the rapid evolution of technology and industry innovations.
What are the benefits of up-skilling and re-skilling?
The benefits of up-skilling and re-skilling:
- Great for career development;
- Improves chances of applying for complex positions;
- Can bring you a promotion;
- Improves Productivity;
- Boost professional self-esteem.
Internal up-skilling and re-skilling are hugely beneficial to a company because it leads to significant long-term cost savings. Not only will it boost team productivity, but it can also lead to an increase in company morale and talent attraction. Employees are more likely to stay with a company long-term when importance is placed on their career development. Do your employees feel valued?
It is clear that an up-skilling or re-skilling is necessary. So, how have organisations responded to this challenge?
Many companies have turned to solutions such as online courses or content libraries to educate their employees. These resources are flexible and provide a large amount of information. A problem that often arises with this solution is the lack of context that is available. To know a skill and to apply your skill to a project is a world apart. These online platforms tend to do a dissatisfactory job at relating skills to real situations.
An emerging solution: Learning & Development Academies
- Academies have become the most effective choice for up-skilling and re-skilling because they combine in-person learning (lectures, activities, and demonstrations) with online learning (quizzes, reading, and videos). It is a hybrid environment that is flexible but also provides face-to-face meetings with trainers for a more personal and contextual learning experience. The training programmes offered are customised to your needs and differ depending on the career level of the learner. Academies are dedicated to your team and their focus lies in reaching your company’s development goals.
Are you interested in learning more about the opportunities available with a Learning & Development Academy? Smelt Academy can be your partner, we offer Learning & Development solutions for Life Sciences and Healthcare professionals and trainees. Visit our website at www.smeltacademy.nl for solutions to your training needs.
Would you like to know how to choose the right training programme for your team? Read our blog post here.